Oregon Association of Water Utilities Jeff Swanson Memorial Scholarship Program
About Jeff Swanson: Jeff Swanson passed away on July 4, 2009, from esophageal cancer. Mr. Swanson was an accomplished and passionate Circuit Rider and Programs Manager for ten years at OAWU. Upon completing college with an emphasis in environmental studies, Jeff worked in the water industry for most of his adult life. He was a great water operator, manager, troubleshooter, treatment plant operator, instructor and above all, a great friend. Jeff had a marvelous, warm and memorable personality with exceptional integrity, personal character and work ethics. He believed that work is good for the body and that mental stimulation and activity is great for the mind. It is to Jeff Swanson’s memory that this scholarship is named, as he believed that obtaining instruction and training where paramount to a person’s success and ability and encouraged people regularly to obtain such. As Jeff would often say regarding one’s attitude and actions, “Choose to make it a great day!”
Please review all application rules. Rules are located on the last two pages of this application. Application must be typed – All questions must be completed and typed. If an answer is not applicable, please note “not applicable” or “N/A.” Any question(s) or information left blank will result in application being disqualified.
Deadline Due Date: December 2, 2019 for the scholarship award year, 2020/2021.
Letters of Reference
Two Letters of Reference must be provided for award consideration (1 letter should be from teacher/professor or school counselor and the 2nd letter should be from a non-school setting, such as clergyman, employer, etc., but not family or friends).
On a separate page in 350 to 500 words, write a brief essay of your career path and goals or the value of potable water and sewer (must be typed).
This application is open to any OAWU Regular Member (in good standing) full or part time employee or employee dependent. In submitting this application, we certify that the information provided is complete and accurate to the best of our knowledge. False or inaccurate information shall result in the revocation of any scholarship granted. Student recipient must be 26 years old or less on September 1 of scholarship award year.
- This one-time award of $1,500 will be made to a student to help defray the cost of tuition, books, and/or room and board at an accredited institution of higher learning approved by the Oregon Association of Water Utilities (OAWU).
- This is a one-time/single award scholarship.
- Disbursement of the money will be made upon presentation of winner’s college or university invoice as proof of full-time enrollment.
- The scholarship money will be paid directly to the student in full upon notification of award.
- The scholarship will be awarded to a qualified child or stepchild of a parent currently employed at a system or city which is an OAWU Regular Member in good standing.
- In order to be eligible for a scholarship within the application year, applicants must complete this form in its entirety by answering all questions and submitting all required paper work. This application must be type-written. Hand written applications will be disqualified.